Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti

I'm sure by now, everyone would have heard about the massive destruction in Haiti, caused by the 7.0 magniture earthquake. In summary, the whole country seems to be flattened. Almost every building including hospitals, the UN headquarters, and the presidential palace collapsed, 3 million (one-third of their total population) affected..

My heart just breaks to see all the suffering. It's times like these, that make me wish I was trained medically, so that I could go there and do something. Or that I was working already, so that I could donate to the various charities and the mission teams aiding the situation.

It's really changed my perspective in life. Now I Really know the importance of mission teams; they're the manpower and ones who can really get to the ground zero, and make a direct difference.

I used to casually think, "I should go on a mission trip some time in my life, when I have the finances and time". Now, I'm Determined to go on a mission trip, once I can save up from working full-time, and use my leave towards that. I don't know, maybe it's a very foolish thought, given that I have neither the brawn (strength) to offer, nor medical expertise to be of help, so I don't know if I'll be better off donating the money instead. Anyway, I'll think about it again when the time comes (and of course pray about what I should/can do).

No comments: